This a monumental, magnificent, marvelous, metamorphic day. Thirty-three years ago on this day, my life changed. I hadn’t even been born yet, but the course of my life was already being set by one simple event. You see, thirty-three years ago on this day my husband was born. It would still be another 20 years until we met, and yet it was a day that would (some day) forever change my life.
Jon, you have changed my life in every way that is good, and I truly can not imagine what this world would be like without you. I love you more today than the day that I met you, more than the day that we said “I do”. I love you infinity ways, but since this is your 33rd birthday, I’ll start with 33 reasons why I love you:
1. You love me well–even when I’m being unlovable. Which is practically never.
2. You never give up–even if that dang rocket set that we bought off the internet is a dud, and even if the second rocket set that we bought off the internet is still a dud, and even if the third rocket set that we bought off the internet still won’t work, you never give up. Amazon thanks you.
3. You have convinced our children that you are actually a cartoon superhero with an alternate life. Seriously, major props.
4. You let me win at Scattergories. Every time.
5. You feed our dog ice cream cones…while she’s sitting in your passenger seat at the drive-thru.
6. You work at one of the most prestigious companies in the world, and yet you still sneaked in wearing a fake mustache and a monocle in your I.D. card photos. How very Colonel Mustard of you…
7. You respect the proper way to drink whiskey: Jameson in a Jameson glass.
8. You put up with my annoying-to-some-people habits (like chewing with my mouth open).
9. You snap flies out of the air like you’re some sort of kung-fu ninja or something.
10. You can carry our whole family on your back. At the same time.
11. You lay on the couch at night and whine with me about how our feet hurt and our backs hurt and how old we’re getting now that we’re in our 30’s.
12. You make me chai tea in the morning. Not in the microwave like I make it for myself, but with steamed milk and perfectly frothy foam on top.
13. You read our boys bedtime stories, and you do all the voices.
14. You eat every morsel of food I ever set before you. Unlike some other members of our family (who shall remain nameless), never once have you thrown it on the floor or spit on it or smeared it in your hair.
15. You always put the toilet seat down and you refill the toilet paper roll facing the correct way.
16. You drove for 18 straight hours in a car with me, a preschooler, a toddler, and a dog. Enough said.
17. You have fixed Buzz Lightyear literally 1,000 times.
18. You give melt-in-your-arms hugs.
19. You stopped me from wearing gauchos. The fashion police applaud you.
20. You let me cry when I see the Johson & Johnson baby ads on TV.
21. You sneak-attack me with marshmallow fights.
22. You know all of your baristas by name and even get invited to their parties. How much do you tip them, anyway?
23. You can cook just about anything en papillote.
24. You laugh at my corny jokes, even when I forget the punchline.
25. You know the power of texting back with a good emoji sequence.
26. You have an impeccable memory. Not that I ever forget things or get information incorrect. Almost never. Ever.
27. No matter how tired you are after a long day, you always come home and wrestle our boys. Even though they punch you in the face.
28. You always do your very best, even when nobody’s watching, and even when some people might find it unnecessary. For instance, when measuring a child’s height on a growth chart, some people might free-hand it or trace the straight edge of a ruler. But not you, because you know there’s a better way. You are the only person I know who has a custom-made, scientifically exact tool for precisely measuring a child’s height to the nearest nano-millimeter.
29. You never criticize me when the only thing I notice about a car is its color.
30. You derive great enjoyment from watching YouTube videos about the Shapeoko 3. Heck, I love that you even know what a Shapeoko 3 IS.
31. You can rock Vibram 5-fingers like it’s nobody’s business.
32. You invented “Zurg Spears”, the single-most effective way to get our boys to eat their dinner.
33. You love me wholly, truly, unconditionally. And, really, what else do we need?
Happy birthday, Sweetie! To 33 years, and many more!
2 thoughts on “Happy Birthday, Husband (33 Reasons Why I Love You)”
I have a feeling getting and unboxing my Shapeoko 3 will be like watching a newborn baby giraffe…all gangly legged at first and soon running all over.